In this example, the FOIL method is used with two binomials that include subtraction and both x-terms have coefficients that are not equal to 1.
Review of the FOIL method:
In this set of Math Tutorials the FOIL method is used find the product of two binomials. We look at the products of binomials of the following form:
(x + a)(x + b)
(ax + b)(x + c)
(ax + b)(cx + d)
In these binomials, the terms a, b, c, and d are constants.
The FOIL method is a systematic way to find the product of two binomials. The term FOIL is an acronym for the method:
F – The product of the first terms in each binomial.
O – The product of the outside terms.
I – The product of the inside terms.
L – The product of the last terms.
These products result in four terms that can be further combined to create the expanded form of the product of the two binomials, in simplified form.
In using the FOIL method, make sure you are familiar with multiplying variable expressions. Using FOIL results in the products of two constants, two x-terms, and a constant and an x-term.
Tweet Learn More About Math Tutorials
The library of Math Tutorials is a comprehensive collection of worked-out solutions to common math problems. This overcomes a common limitation of most textbooks: the handful of worked-out examples for a given concept. We provide the full array of examples and solutions, allowing students to identify patterns among the solutions, in order to aid concept retention. We also have quizzes for many of these topics.
Our current inventory of Math Examples include:
- Math Tutorial: Examples Using Algebra Tiles
- Math Tutorial: Solving Equations in One Variable
- Math Tutorial: Solving Equations with Fractions
- Math Tutorial: Solving Equations with Percents
- Math Tutorial: Slope formula
- Math Tutorial: Midpoint formula
- Math Tutorial: Distance formula
- Math Tutorial: Graphing linear functions, given m and b
- Math Tutorial: Graphing absolute value functions
- Math Tutorial: Graphing linear inequalities
- Math Tutorial: Using the Point-Slope form
- Math Tutorial: Finding the equation of a line given two points
- Math Tutorial: Graphing parallel and perpendicular lines
- Math Tutorial: Solving quadratics graphically
- Math Tutorial: Solving quadratics by completing the square
- Math Tutorial: Factoring Quadratics
- Math Tutorial: Polynomial Expansion
- Math Tutorial: Solving quadratics using the quadratic formula
- Math Tutorial: Using FOIL
- Math Tutorial: Graphs of Exponential Functions
- Math Tutorial: Laws of Exponents
- Math Tutorial: Graphs of Logarithmic Functions
- Math Tutorial: Graphs of Rational Functions
- Math Tutorial: Combining Rational Expressions
- Math Tutorial: Graphs of Conic Sections